Insect bites cause more deaths from anaphylaxis than snake bites
Mosquitoes carry diseases like West Nile Virus and Ross River Virus
80% of those who die from wasp or bee stings are men
Most insect bites and stings are not dangerous. Their venom, saliva and faeces often simply lead to inflammation, blistering, redness, swelling, localised pain and itchiness. However, some can cause severe allergic reactions and even anaphylaxis.
Seek medical assistance immediately for anaphylaxis.
For a mild insect bite or sting, remove any stinger with a pair of tweezers. Then, clean the affected area with an antiseptic wipe and apply an ice pack. This will help to reduce any inflammation. For those experiencing anaphylaxis, it will be important to follow their personal action plan.
Watch the video to learn more.